The Empire Building features a terra-cotta fascade, and was erected in 1909. After the completion of the building, the corner it stands on became known as the "Heaviest corner on Earth", due to the corner featuring the four tallest buildings in the South, at the time. In 1964, City National Bank purchased the building, and it was used as a bank building until 2009, when Colonial Bank closed. The building is currently being stripped for renovations into a 117 room luxury hotel. As a result, every floor features a stripped, empty room.